V 149. Kalamita. Dedication of Soterikos, 1272–1273 C.E.
Tempera on plaster.
H. 6.5, W. 67.0.
Painted long one-line inscription framed by rectangular painted border. The church (see Find Context) was filled in with soil from a quarry.
Place of Origin
Mouth of Gaytanskaya Gully, Cave-church "Geographios," back of the apse, between the altar and the icon above it.
Institution and inventory
Within the framed section of the wall.
Lapidary; letters with serifs, ornate and elongated. Alpha with a loop, beta with vertically spaced loops, delta and lambda with capping horizontal bar pointing left. Ligatures, an abbreviation, irregular diacritics.
L1. CIG IV, 8757, tab XIV; 2. Bertye-Delagard 1886, 222; 2.1. Latyshev 1896, 37–40, № 32; 2.2. Latyshev 1898, 228–229.
<div type="edition" xml:lang="grc"> <ab> <lb n="1"/> Δέυσις τοῦ δούλου τοῦ <roleName><expan><abbr>θ</abbr><ex>εο</ex><abbr>ῦ</abbr></expan></roleName> Σοτιρίκου σὴ<supplied reason="lost">ν</supplied> σηνβήου α<supplied reason="lost">ὐτ</supplied>οῦ κὲ το͂ν τέκνον <lb n="2"/> αὐτοῦ<g ref="#dipunct"/> <date><expan><abbr>ἔτ</abbr><ex>ους</ex></expan> <num value="6781">ςψπα</num></date>. </ab> </div>
[Κ(ύρι)ε μνησθ]ῇς Kirchhof; δούλου θ(εο)ῦ Kirchhof; Σο..ηκου Kirchhof; ΣΟΚΡΙΤΙΚΟΥ Gavriil apud Bertye-Delagard; Σο[τ]ικοῦ (?) Latyshev 1896; Σοτιρικοῦ (?) Latyshev 1898; τι s.l.; [κ(αὶ) τ]ῆ[ς] σηνβήου Kirchhof; ἔτ(ους) ςψπ´ Kirchhof
Supplication of the servant of God, Soterikos, his wife, and his children. In the year 6781.
The edition published in CIG is based on the drawing of Waxel (1803, 11. Tab., № 23). Bertye-Delagard (1886, 222) discovered a transcription of the inscription in the archive of archbishop Gavriil, in the document titled "An account of the number of old Greek churches found in the Simferopol region, in which no liturgical services take place". Latyshev (see also Latyshev 1897, 150–151) took the information on the names and the date from that account. Another transcription was made by Strukov in the 1870s (Manuscript Archive, Institute for History of Material Culture, Russian Academy of Sciences f. Р–I, № 619. l. 4). The church (see above - Find Context) was filled in during the construction of rail tracks in 1937.
1. On the formula, see Introduction IV.3.B.a, on the name - see a note to V 160: since in both cases a man with a rare name Soterikos acts as a decorator of churches, we should not exclude the possibility that it was one and the same person. The use of σύν with genitive is also found in IOSPE II 297, 301, 383, 401.
2. On the archival photo from the Photo Archive of the Institute for History of Material Culture, Russian Academy of Sciences (II–36615; О.1320.6 (published here); О.1320.9) a pi is clear after alpha in the year date. Thus, the dating of the church should be moved by one year.
The architectural and liturgical form of the church is typical of the XIIIth century (see Vinogradov, Gaydukov, Zheltov 2005, 75–76), while the present inscription in its form and technique is close to a dedication from the "Church of Three Horsemen" in Eski-Kermen (V 219), also dated to the 2nd half of the XIIIth century.