V 45. Cherson. Invocation of Georgios, IX-Х centuries C.E.
H. 63.0, W. 38.0, Th. 15.0.
Stele in the shape of a disc resting on a two-level pedestal. The front side of the disc is carved with a bas-relief of a cross (with arms flaring out) encircled by a frame carved in high relief along the circumference of the disc. Split into two parts, chipped along the edges of the disc and on the front surface.
Place of Origin
Necropolis by the Quarantine Bay, Burial vault 1662, over the bones.
1905, excavations of K.K. Kostsyushko-Valyuzhinich.
Institution and inventory
National Preserve of Tauric Chersonesos, 34912.
May 1999, August 2001, September 2002, September 2003, September 2004, September 2005, September 2006, September 2007.
In a semicircular niche carved below the disc in the top level of the pedestal.
Lapidary. Alpha with broken crossbar; Y-shaped and У-shaped upsilon.
IX-Х centuries C.E.
L1. Latyshev 1906a, 124–125, № 39; 1.1. Latyshev 1907, 65.
<div type="edition" xml:lang="grc"> <ab> <lb n="1"/><g ref="#stauros"/> <roleName><expan><abbr>Κ</abbr><ex>ύρι</ex><abbr>ε</abbr></expan></roleName>, βοή<lb n="2" break="no"/>θ<supplied reason="lost">ει</supplied> τὼ<supplied reason="lost">ν</supplied> δοῦ <lb n="3" break="no"/>λ<supplied reason="lost">ό</supplied>ν σου Γεώ<lb n="4" break="no"/>ργ<unclear>η</unclear>ν Μαμσυ. </ab> </div>
3-4: Γεώργ(ιο)ν Μαμσῦ (?) Latyshev; Μανασῦ Papadopoulo-Kerameus apud Latyshev 1907
O Lord, help your servant Georgios Mamsy.
1-3. On the formula, see IV.3.E.a.
The closest analogy for our monument, as far as its shape is concerned, is V 36, and as well as another monument from Cherson (Kostsyushko-Valyuzhinich 1902, 65, drawing 13). Lettershapes (first and foremost, alpha with broken crossbar - last used in V 66, 915 C.E.) indicate the date in the period between the VIth and Xth centuries, although the fact of the family points to the Middle Byzantine period.
Although the inscription was found in a burial vault, it is not funerary: firstly, the inscription was moved to the tomb later, it was not set up there originally; secondly, the burial goods date to the IInd-IVth century (Sorochan 2005, 1048, n. 41). The inscription most likely was moved into the burial vault from a nearby "citadel" where we find a church that dates to the early Xth century (Sorochan, 998-999).