V 37. Cherson. Demonstrative inscription, IX–XIIth centuries C.E.
White fine-grained marble.
H. 15.0, W. 11.5, Th. 2.8.
On the front is an incised rectangular frame decorated with geometric ornament; in the centre - a carving of a cross decorated with serifs; the front surface is polished. Broken on the bottom and left.
Place of Origin
Northern shore, corner of the 9th cross street and 1st longitudinal street, Room 2, Layer 2.
1940, excavations of G.D. Belov.
Institution and inventory
National Preserve of Tauric Chersonesos, 20/36134.
May 1999, August 2001, September 2002, September 2003, September 2004, September 2005, September 2006, September 2007.
Crosswise: on the arms and centre of the cross.
Lapidary. Diamond-shaped phi with serifs and elongated vertical.
IX–XIIth centuries C.E.
Type of representation.
<div type="edition" xml:lang="grc"> <ab> <lb n="1"/>Φῶς, <lb n="2"/>ζωή. </ab> </div>
The original size of the panel was ca. 0.16 x 0.17m. Apparently it was to be used as wall tile, but its exact function is unknown.
Concerning the formula, see IV.3.C.b. For the archaeological context, see Belov, Yakobson 1953, 125.
© 2015 Andrey Vinogradov (edition), Irene Polinskaya (translation)
You may download this inscription in EpiDoc XML. (This file should validate to the EpiDoc schema.)