V 147. Laki. Commemoration of John, 1413 C.E.
On the front - patriarchal cross on a base. Condition unknown.
Place of Origin
Holy Trinity church, southeast apse, external wall.
Summer of 1895, survey of Yu. A. Kulakovsky.
Institution and inventory
Below the cross.
L1. Latyshev 1896, 69, №63; 1.1. Millet 1900, № 63; 2. Latyshev 1898, 231; 1.2. Solomonik 1991, 173.
Ἠωά(ννης): ἔτου(ς)] ... Latyshev; Ἰεσηιδου Millet; Λεόνδου Solomonik
Ioa(nnes). In the year 6921.
This inscription most likely belongs to the category of commemorative graffiti on sacred objects. The apse (especially its south side) of a church is a favorite place for such graffiti (see, e.g., the church in Kudrino (former Shury), which tend to be representational (ships, horses, etc.) rather than verbal. At the same time, we cannot exclude the possibility that in this case we might be dealing with a funerary inscription consisting of a short formula.
The reading of the name, both in Millet and Solomonik is based on the transcription of Kulakovsky (Latyshev 1896), and does not take into account the transcription of Bertye-Delagard, published by Latyshev two years later. In the latter, the first three letters, as well as the word "year," can be clearly read. On the name John, see commentary to V 108.