V 96. Cherson. Liturgical inscription, IV–Vth centuries C.E.
H. 10.0, W. 16.0, Th. 3.5.
Polished panel with inset image. Broken on the top and left.
Place of Origin
North, Block XVII, Room 15, layer 2-3.
1940, excavations of G.D. Belov.
Institution and inventory
National Preserve of Tauric Chersonesos, 1/36126.
May 1999, August 2001, September 2002, September 2003, September 2004, September 2005, September 2006, September 2007.
Within frame below the cross.
Lapidary style; elongated letters. Alpha with slightly slanted crossbar, lunate sigma; ligatures alpha-mu (?), eta-nu.
IV–Vth centuries C.E.
Vinogradov 2010149–150, № o.
<div type="edition" xml:lang="grc"> <ab> <lb n="1"/><app type="alternative"><lem><gap reason="lost" extent="unknown" unit="character"/> <supplied reason="lost">δ</supplied>ίκαιος, <supplied reason="lost">ἀ</supplied>μήν</lem> <rdg><gap reason="lost" extent="unknown" unit="character"/> καὶ <supplied reason="lost">ὀσ</supplied>μήν</rdg></app> </ab> </div>
...righteous, amen (or: and fragrance).
The text cannot be securely restored. The inscription was found in the earth fill of a courtyard of a Medieval house (Belov, Yakobson 1953, 152).
The panel was meant to be fitted into slots. The cutter was rather meticulous: he drew lines not only for the text, but also for the image above it.