III 124. Chersonesos. Dedication (?) on an altar, IV-III century B.C.E.
Fully preserved. On the narrow front side, the beginning of the inscription can be discerned. The panel served as a cover for a low table altar.
Place of Origin
Cape Mayachny (Strabo’s Chersonesos).
In the area of Kasachy (Cossacks') Bay, on the isthmus of Cape Mayachny (about 10km from the citadel of Chersonesos), during the excavations of a small cult building, attached to a fortification wall.
Found in 1900, excavations of K.K. Kostsyushko-Valyuzhinich (НА НЗХТ, д. 1, № 36; ср. ОАК за 1890 г., 38). Found together with a fragment of a narrow colonnete set in a base, and not far off, a small hearth built from four panels rested on their narrow sides.
Institution and inventory
Non vidi. The monument apparently disappeared soon after it had been discovered (Strzheletsky 1948, 103).
On the front.
Judging by a drawing in the report of K.K. Kostsyushko-Valyuzhinich (see Strzheletsky 1948, 103, fig. 3), the script had nu with short right vertical and sigma with horizontal top and bottom bars.
IV-III century B.C.E.
Palaeography, archaeological context.
IOSPE I2 706.
Kostsyushko-Valyuzhinich 1891, 60; Bertye-Delagard 1893 1893, 57; Strzheletsky 1948, 102 сл.; Shcheglov 1969, 154; Solomonik 1984 7, № 5; Nikolaenko 1997, 80; Sarnovski, Kovalevskaya 2004, 48.
Δι[ο]νύσι[ος τοῦ δεῖνος ἀνέθηκεν ?] ed. pr.; ΔΙ[.]ΝΥΣI[- - -] Solomonik; ΔΙΟΝΥΣ[- - -] Bertye-Delagard
Di[o]nysi[os? - - -]
Other personal names beginning with Διονυσι- are possible.